Welcome to session #37 of The Podcast Engineering Show! Listen and Subscribe in iTunes, Google Play, iHeart Radio, Stitcher, TuneIn Radio, Android, RSS.
Announcement: We will be taking a break for the holidays, so after this episode we will be back on Jan. 5th.
Links mentioned in this episode:
First I mention and explain what I’m using to record this episode – a Shure SM7B right into my Mackie mixer – no processing before recording, which is different than my normal setup at home. With regards to peaking/distorting, setting my recording level when the mic is “raw to tape” is much more difficult than when I’m using a compressor before recording.
Then I discuss these 4 topics:
1. The Wisdom of Audio Processing
- Silk mode on my Neve Portico II – RED/BLUE – Tweaking my EQ & Compression on my new RE20
- Dbx 286s “Enhancer” section – LF Detail, HF Detail
- Using a multiband compressor on a voice – compressing the low end as well as boosting the level of that low end
2. Debrief Last Week’s Episode Production
- Too much compression, especially with a reverby room
- Ralph & Carol Lynn were very close to their mic’s
- Using gates to tape
- Auphonic Multitrack crossgate function
3. Matching/Balancing the Sound of Voices Within Episodes
- The Real Brian – had to remove lots of low end to match
- Skype and phone calls
4. Upgrading Your Equipment Over the Holidays
- Not in terms of good deals, but strategy
- For deals and info visit Podcast Gear Group on Facebook
Enjoy a wonderful Holiday season! Be with you again on Jan. 5th 😉
And be sure to send me pics of your new gear!!!
DID YOU KNOW……..We exist for the purpose of helping you, so please comment below with any questions or remarks. Thanks for listening!
Want to Start a Business or Have a Career as a Podcast Producer/Engineer?
Listen and Subscribe in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn Radio, Android, RSS