My guest is Zack Hanni, audio engineer and owner of Soma Recording Studios. He engineers/produces music so it was nice to talk with him about some of the production processes and tricks he uses. Fyi, he majored in Audio Production and minored in Entertainment Technology at Middle Tennessee State University.
We discussed several topics in great depth: (listen to the audio for the FULL experience…..the shownotes for this show are just the tip of the iceberg 😉
- Impedance (Hi-Z and Lo-Z, mic’s and instruments)
- EQ (addressing some common issues)
- Compression (Multiband, including release times, auto-release and alternatives to compression)
- Introducing distortion to add some high frequency presence
- Zack’s typical vocal processing chain:
- EQ w/ hi pass filter at 80-150 Hz
- Light Compression
- Via a Send to a return track:
- Heavy and harsh Compression
- Presonus FaderPort (has a single motorized fader)
- Izotope Nectar (chorus, pitching, and a lot more)
Thanks for sharing so many insights with us, Zack!
DID YOU KNOW……..We exist for the purpose of helping you, so please comment below with any questions or remarks. Thanks for listening!
Want to Start a Business or Have a Career as a Podcast Producer/Engineer?